1. Have your child read everday and make it fun!
2. Show interest in your child’s reading.
3. Make sure your child sees you enjoying a wide variety of reading materials such as newspapers, books, and magazines.
4. Check your child’s comprehension of the story by asking questions.
5. Give your child opportunities to read many different kinds of print: grocery lists, road signs, and restaurant menus.
6. Encourage word-play activities such as rhyming words and words that begin or end the same.
7. Go to the local library or Family Reading Night at the school.
8. Make a special effort to praise your child for improvement no matter how small the gain!